Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Birthday Dad!

My dad and me at the City of Rocks on one of our many fun trips together
......................................................................................
My dad's birthday was on Tuesday- 50 years old! That means that he is exactly twice as old as me. Crazy.

For his birthday my mom put together a book of memories from all of his friends and loved ones. I'll post part of my letter here on the blog- a tribute to the best father anyone could ever hope to have.
________________________________________________

All I Really Need to Know I Learned From My Dad…

How to be happy • How to love life • How to show others that I care • How to light a fire with just one match and a tall cup of white gas • How to make the best of a tough situation • How to laugh • How to win a water fight • How to change a flat tire • How to be nice • How to put my family first • How to always do my best • How to know that my best is good enough • How to do the little things • How to fight off a bear with a handful of pebbles • How to be happy that at least the bear didn’t eat the Spam • How to appreciate beautiful things • How to show my dear wife that I love her • How to ride a bike • How to admit when I need help • How to be confident when I can’t have help • How to scout a rapid • How to swim a rapid • How to have faith • How to make the name Leroy sound scary • How to be patient • How to drop everything when a friend needs help • How to stop a school bus • How to manage my time well • How to dance • How to win • How to lose • How to tie a figure eight • How to try everything at least once • How to skip rocks • How to pray • How to make other people feel special • How to hug • How to enjoy a good book • How to be obnoxious in a racquetball court • How to keep going, even when I don’t think I can • How to set goals • How to listen • How to drive a fifteen passenger van on a road that was only meant for jeeps • How to involve everyone • How to write well • How to make people laugh • How to admit when I’m wrong • How to catch crawdads • How to teach kids not to gamble by taking all of their candy • How to know what’s important • How to make lasting memories • How to be the best dad in the world

2 comments:

  1. He sure sound like a real man. You must be proud to be his son. You are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's nice. Who were you writing about??

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete